2009 Minutes

 

Board of Directors Meeting
1 PM March 5 2009 Executive Conference Room Westin Convention Center
 
Present:
Bernard Beins
Michael Brown
Robert Cook
Andrew Delamater
Thomas Ghiradelli
Arnold Glass
Norine Jalbert
Nora Newcombe
Susan Nolan
Alice Powers
Wade Pickren
Kurt Salzinger
Sherry Serdikoff
Robert Sternberg
Thomas Zentall
 
Visitor:
Dana Dunn
 
Absent:
Michael Lewis
 
Minutes
 
1. 12:30 PM a delicious buffet
 
2. 1:00 PM Call to Order
New members Michael Brown, Robert Cook, and Alice Powers were welcomed to the Board
 
3.   Election Committee Report was presented.
 
4. Discussion of Fellows Committee Report.
ROBERT STERNBERG: We created the Fellows distinction because APA has found that Fellows rarely resign and this was a way to keep eminent members in EPA. We initially offered fellowship status to active members who were fellows of APA or APS because this was easy to do.
ANDREW DELAMATER: Fellow status could also be offered to fellows of APA and APS who are not members of EPA as an inducement to join.
NORINE JALBERT: There is overlap between the new list of fellows and the original list.
NORA NEWCOMBE: Reconciliation is important so that we do not reoffer fellow status to an existing fellow. Also, let’s not continue to impose on Peter. We should appoint a new chair from among the Board.
ROBERT COOK: I will take over Fellows Committee
RC’s appointment as Chair moved by KS, seconded by SN, and approved by acclamation.
 
5. Discussion of EPAGS Report.
NORINE JALBERT: The recommendations of this report should be implemented by a Board member at a college with a graduate program. Susan (SN) would do it though she is leaving the Board.
SUSAN NOLAN: I would work on it with a Board member. 
KURT SALZINGER: Would EPAGs members pay less?
NORINE JALBERT: If we gave them more responsibilities then we might give them a break on dues. Also, we might give them a room for programming or a speaker.
NORA NEWCOMBE: I don’t think that we necessarily want to expand the program indiscriminately.
ALICE POWERS: Maybe we should just start with a speaker. 
BERNARD BEINS: I don’t think we should sequester students in their own program. 
NORINE JALBERT:   Sometimes they want their own program, like a mentoring lunch.
SUSAN NOLAN: We could give awards for best poster, etc.
SHERRY SERDIKOFF:   We could coordinate EPAGs with Psi Chi.
ANDREW DELAMATER: If there were graduate students motivated to create a symposium there are a few empty slots. 
NORA NEWCOMBE: We don’t want to dilute audience so that invited speakers have small audiences.
THOMAS ZENTALL:   So we don’t want so many invited speakers or concurrent presentations?
One role of EPAGs could be to get graduate students to attend.
NORA NEWCOMBE: Let’s start to organize something and see what the graduate students want.
KURT SALZINGER: How about starting by giving them an evening with a person they want?
SUSAN NOLAN: You could give them a booth to recruit more students.
ALICE POWERS: The APAGs was started at St. John’s by graduate students.
NORINE JALBERT: If we are going to offer leadership positions, should EPAG head be on Board and/or get free night’s lodging. 
THOMAS GHIRARDELLI: We can use the students to give other students reasons to come to EPA.
NORINE JALBERT: I think that graduate students are already savvy about what meetings to go to.
They are interested in getting themselves on the program.
NORINE JALBERT: We need Susan to recruit graduate students to get the program going. I would suggest a nonvoting seat on the Board for the head of EPAGs and one night lodging. Also, a hotel for an EPAGs program committee member.
KURT SALZINGER: We should send out a letter to all graduate programs announcing an organizational meeting in Brooklyn.
ROBERT STERNBERG: An important motivation is networking. It is a better place to network than APA. It also empowers graduate students, who tend to feel powerless. Also, it installs in younger people a culture of service. 
BERNARD BEINS: Would it make sense to have a graduate student from the area where we should meet?
SUSAN NOLAN: Yes.
NORA NEWCOMBE: Yes
KURT SALZINGER: Yes
NORINE JALBERT: That graduate student could serve as local arrangements head.
NORA NEWCOMBE: Is this another hotel night?
NORA NEWCOMBE: Motion: Susan [Nolan] and Kurt [Salzinger] will organize EPAGs with a nonvoting graduate student head from the Boston area to recruit students from Boston for local arrangements. The organizational meeting for EPAGs will take place at the 2010 meeting in Brooklyn.
Motion was seconded by KS and passed by acclamation.
 
6. Discussion of Treasurer’s Report
NORA NEWCOMBE: Round of applause for outstanding performance.
NORA NEWCOMBE:   What has happened in Pittsburgh? What will happen in Brooklyn?
NORINE JALBERT: I think that there will be a deficit this year. However, it will not be terrible.
ANDREW DELAMATER: Are we going to have a $30,000 deficit this year?
NORINE JALBERT: No, I am hoping for a significant boost in onsite registration.
NORA NEWCOMBE: So we need to approve 09-10 budget?
NORINE JALBERT: The dues projection for 2009-2010 is significantly higher than what EPA has projected (or received) in the past.
ARNOLD GLASS: Attendance in New York has historically been much higher than at any other location. The dues projection is no higher than what we have previously done in New York City. With adequate advertising, I believe that we should reach it.
NORA NEWCOMBE: Motion to approve budget
KURT SALZINGER: seconded
Passed by acclamation.
 
7. Discussion of Executive Officer’s Report
KURT SALZINGER: Next year’s meeting in Brooklyn provides many opportunities for offering special opportunities available in New York.
ARNOLD GLASS: Since this point has been mentioned, even though it is out of order, I would like to raise now when we will hold next year’s Board of Director’s meeting. We usually have lunch around noon and the meeting at 1 PM on Thursday. But next year Harold Takooshian has arranged for the Board to hear Phil Zimbardo speak at the UN Thursday morning and then have lunch at the delegates dining room. Do we want to do that and push our meeting back to later in the afternoon, perhaps around 2 PM?
KURT SALZINGER: I move that we hear Phil [Zimbardo], have lunch at UN and meet later back at hotel.
Passed by acclamation.
 
8. Discussion of Program Committee’s Report
KURT SALZINGER: Maybe the workshop should be called something else.
NORA NEWCOMBE: The report raises several important issues I would like us to address. How can we resolve logistical difficulties? Will expertise on programming committee eliminate problems? Perhaps we should have overlap and training on program committee. 
NORA NEWCOMBE: Should we have scheduling only at prime slots? Should we reduce number of invited speakers to fit slots? We have 10 areas. Does each get a speaker? Do we need invited speakers? How do resolve the problem of having more invited speakers than prime speaking slots?  In addressing these issues, I don’t want us to trample on Program Committee’s prerogatives to invite speakers.
ROBERT STERNBERG: On the other hand, when I was President my suggestions were not followed by the Program Committee. We need more collaboration.   The President should get x slots to fill. 
NORINE JALBERT: Perhaps we should double book speakers in prime slots.
NORA NEWCOMBE: I think teaching should have a speaker.
ARNOLD GLASS: If an area has a named speaker then they shouldn’t get another one.
WADE PICKREN: How about giving an area a speaker every other year?
THOMAS GHIRARDELLI: How about having Program Committee members invite speaker in second year?
NORA NEWCOMBE: Should we go back to Thursday evening or Sunday morning?
THOMAS ZENTALL:   Psychonomics’ Thursday evening talk was a success. Suppose we bring someone in like that?
WADE PICKREN: I propose adding history as an area on the Program Committee.
Passed by acclamation.
NORA NEWCOMBE: The President will continue to give the Presidential Address and will be able to invite at least four other speakers. Each area will not automatically get an invited speaker. Rather, the President and Program Committee Chair, in consultation with the rest of the Program Committee, will decide how many speakers it is desirable to invite and where to place them on the Program.
Passed by acclamation.
NORA NEWCOMBE: We will have a Thursday night event. We will consider 8 AM a bad time and not schedule invited events at this time, though other events may be scheduled at this time. The invited program must be determined by September 1st.
General agreement, but no formal motion or vote.
NORA NEWCOMBE: Historian will get a room at a good time that does not have to be the main invited speaker room. President will get himself and 4 slots. Board will get 6 slots. The invited program must be determined by September.  
Passed by acclamation.
SHERRY SERDIKOFF: The Program Committee needs to develop a handbook of what needs to be done.
NORA NEWCOMBE: We need a handbook to empower the Program Committee by delineating their authority. Is the Programming Committee too large?
SHERRY SERDIKOFF: We need continuity more than size right now. We need a handbook listing members and their terms.
NORA NEWCOMBE: Can we have three year terms with one-third rotate off every year?
Maybe someone should stay a fourth year as chair?
SHERRY SERDIKOFF: I recommend that at end of term a Program Committee member become chair.
NORA NEWCOMBE: Therefore, should you appoint someone for ABA right away?
SHERRY SERDIKOFF: The Program Committee should recommend new members.
NORA NEWCOMBE: But Board needs a real discussion of candidate proposed by PC member.
The shadowing of existing members by new members is important. Wade will join Program Committee as history member.
ROBERT STERNBERG: I am worried that we are adding areas promiscuously. We need a formal review process of area categories.
NORA NEWCOMBE: We will continue to experiment on new workshops. Perhaps we will do Psychology and the Law. Perhaps we will have more than one. 
NORINE JALBERT: I suggest that Sherry write the Program Committee handbook and send it to Board.
SHERRY SERDIKOFF:   I think that the Program Committee should help with preparing the handbook.
 
SHERRY SERDIKOFF: We need to talk about the website situation.
NORA NEWCOMBE: Board will spend modest sum to perfect website. 
Passed by acclamation.
 
9. New Business.
THOMAS ZENTALL: We should revive focus papers at beginning of session. 
THOMAS GHIRARDELLI: Last time we tried it, there was confusion what focus papers were.
ANDREW DELAMATER: I would like to see focus papers come back.
 
10. Adjournment at 4:30 PM.
Username
Password